Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Writers Should Be Voters

Today, my husband and I got up early and went to the library to vote. Standing out in front and bundled against the chill was our neighbor. She is running for the school board, and she and her young daughter were passing out flyers – at the appropriate distance from the polls, mind you!

I admire her for gumption and conviction to run for office and I hope she wins. She certainly won my husband's and my vote. It makes me feel more confident to actually know people who I am voting for.

What does this have to do with writing? Not a thing that I know of, but I encourage writers to participate in government and civic responsibility. How else will we preserve the right of free speech, which we as writers hold so dear? And, how else can we encourage future readers by ensuring our schools effectively train students to read and write and do arithmetic?

Dear readers (writers) – if you didn't vote today, please do so at the next election.

No comments:

Post a Comment