Sunday, January 22, 2012

And they lived happily ever...can I get back to you on that?

I've been out of the writing frame of mind since Nanowrimo. I was so sick at the end of November that when I gasped across the finish line, I just lay there on the ground waiting for myself to feel like getting back up.

The problem is that I never did.

So now I have a Nano novel of 50k plus words with no ending. I can't tell you how irritating that is to my kids, who have been waiting over a month now for the next installment. They got pretty used to picking up my binder of work-in-progress printouts that were being produced with happy regularity by myself as I was forced to kick out 1700 words a day. To suddenly have nothing new to read was trying. Fortunately John Flanagan came out with a new Ranger's Apprentice book so they scuffled over that for a bit while I was waiting for creative juices to spurt out somewhere.

Still nothing.

I don't know about you, but I tend to take the course of least resistance. That means that I'm drawing more than writing because it happy requires no conscious thought on my part. It's not really procrastinating.

Okay, so it is procrastinating, but in a sneaky productive way, because it does nothing to finish my book. So it is with a sigh, knowing that I must complete a task that I don't feel like doing, that I lay aside my 6B drawing pencil and instead pick up my pen/laptop to write something each day. It won't be inspired, but I hope by the end of February, it will be done.

4 comments:

  1. We are hanging on to the edges of our seats! WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO JACKSON?! WHAT WILL BECOME OF GRANPA?! WILL THE TRAITOR GET WHAT SHE DESERVES?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'll write some more of the story tonight. Will that satisfy you? I knew these endingless stories are driving you over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using Scrivener on mine, which involves finding pictures and fleshing out characters and places. It is helping me - truly - rewrite the entire book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to pull out my hair and scream. I lost my momentum again, and now I have to read the thing just to figure out where I am. Unfortunately, I started writing alternate endings, and all that stuff is confusing in my head.

    ReplyDelete