Monday, October 18, 2010

I forgot it was Monday: Nanowrimo alert

How can a person be totally aware that it's Monday, yet forget that it's Monday? I'm not really sure, but I think I did it. Somewhere along the way, my mind began to think that it was really Thursday. The upshot is, I didn't even bother to write anything for today's post. Since I don't know if anyone reads it, I feel somewhat comforted by the fact that I can be human and fallible to a limited number of people.

But now that I have realized, with two hours to go, what day it is and what that means, here I am.

It's time once again to begin the subliminal message service that I provide this time of year to make sure you all get involved in writing the novel you always wanted to write for National Novel Writing Month, better known as Nanowrimo. You have an overwhelming desire to write a book. The nice thing about subliminal messages is that they're conveniently painless. You don't have to do anything but read my blog, and they hurt way less than, say, shutting your finger in a door or getting a paper cut. Your mind is filled with plot ideas for a novel of 50,000 words.

In fact, subliminal messages are a great way to get yourself motivated for the next month, because you're going to need it. About halfway through week 2, you're going to think you're nothing less than a raving lunatic for signing up. Sign up on the Nanowrimo site today. This is when it's a good thing that you've told all your friends and family what you're doing so that you are obligated to finish in order to save face, thus avoiding the need to skulk away and end your days in Tahiti, where no one knows you. Warm climates are loaded with enormous unpleasant bugs—you will write 50,000 words by midnight November 30th.

With that in mind, I just want to wish you all well and encourage you to join in the Nanowrimo fun in November. Get motivated by making a bet with your neighbor to walk his dog every day for the next year if you don't finish.

Now take a deep breath and get ready, because when you're finished, you can have the immense satisfaction of knowing that you really, really, really did it.

2 comments:

  1. Well . . . I read your post! And it was because I saw an interesting link on facebook! (not because I'm married to one of you people . . . well maybe.) Thanks for the subliminal implant. I feel the need to write! So here I am writing. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny, Dave! Glad you're writing. : )

    ReplyDelete