Monday, August 31, 2009

Retreat and Writing





We had so much fun at our retreat this weekend that I have to tell a little about it. I know we all especially thank Christine's Aunt Diane for letting us come to her lovely home and farm for two days of natural solitude and beauty to write in. The quiet made it so easy to concentrate. I was able to get almost an entire first draft for a short story/possible picture book finished and worked on a novel as well. (Had to force myself for the novel because I'm not enjoying it yet.) The horseback riding and exploring created breaks, and the companionship of serious writers was the best! (The food was great too.)

So about that novel. I had to face some issues while working on it this weekend. For instance, whenever I think about writing it, I experience an unpleasant tingle of fear. I don't get it when I write picture books. I don't know why the quantum physics novel provokes that response. Perhaps because it's serious rather than humorous. Perhaps it's too far outside my comfort zone. Whatever the case, I'm going to keep plugging away at it. At the very worst, I'll walk away with having become a better writer just for the effort.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I had no idea you practically completed a first draft of something. Way to go Beth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd probably thought that all I did was pet kittens and eat, but yes, I actually did some writing in there somewhere. Almost finished Hide and Squeak but just have to pull the ending together. And I think I think I was able to recover some momentum on the quantum physics novel. (Someday I'm going to have to come up with a catchier title than that, though.)

    ReplyDelete