Monday, September 28, 2009

Suffice it to say that once again, I didn't have this ready in advance, and since I'm teaching school, I won't be able to add much until the end of the day. But until then, I'll leave you with this thought.

The business of the storyteller is to ask questions, not to answer them.
—Joseph Conrad, novelist

Now I'm going to show that I really stay almost entirely in the genre of children's writing, because I don't remember who Joseph Conrad is. But I do find this statement from the Oxford Essential Guide to Writing interesting, and have been mulling it over. It was given in context in a section where they were talking about using natural endings for essays and papers. Their suggestion was to use discretion about making a final judgment at the end of the essay, and this was why.

Comments? Opinions?

3 comments:

  1. Jesus told many stories, we call them parables. And although you could say He asked questions with these parables I believe He answered more than He asked. These parables showed us glimpses into the inner workings of the Kingdom of God. I believe they are an owners manual for life. So while it can be a thought provoking thing to have a story ask a question, it can be a life changing thing to have the story ask the question and then answer it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a smart husband you have, Beth. Well-said, Dwight!

    ReplyDelete