Monday, October 12, 2009

You Can Do This!!!

The Secret Life of Eleanor Blunt is beginning to take shape in my imagination. I've begun to carry a notebook and write down character and story notes. It really helped me to go to the Young Writer's Program and get their tips for the kids who are writing in NaNoWriMo. I like them because they are easy to understand. If you've never done the WriMo before, this is a good place to start:

http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/workbooks

These are the Young Writer's Notebooks that guide students of all ages through the NaNo experience. You can print them out or view them on your computer, and they will walk you through the planning process if you choose to plan a little. Lots of writers just sit down and start typing instead. Some plan and then abandon their plans after a few days. It's good to stay loose and not get too tied down to anything if you want to keep moving.

If you haven't decided to do the NaNoWriMo, it's PEP TALK TIME:

When you get to week two, scroll back to this post, because at that point, many writers throw in the towel.

You can do this!!! You can write a novel in one month. You have a voice that no one else has, and it's such a blessing that we still have free speech in this country and can write books. Take advantage of it to write a novel that you would never otherwise get around to writing. So remember...

JUST KEEP TYPING NO MATTER WHAT!
DO NOT STOP.
DO NOT GIVE UP.
IF YOU PRESS THROUGH WEEK TWO, DURING WEEK THREE YOUR BOOK WILL PICK UP STEAM AGAIN.

If you do sign up on the NaNoWriMo website, you can ask to be added as my writing buddy by accessing my username, BethMac (there is no space between the Beth and Mac). This way you can keep track of my word count, and I can see yours.

Sign up before October 31st!


1 comment:

  1. Ok, ok, ok already. I'll get around to signing up sometime this month. Boy are you pushy. You almost sound like one of those motivational speakers.

    I think I'll write about a boy becoming a man in the Atlantic fighting uboats.

    ReplyDelete