Friday, July 23, 2010

Mentor book and retreat ideas

Just started reading The Writer's Portable Mentor by Priscilla Long. I think this is one of those life-changing writer's books, so I'm going to knock out a plug for it. I'll honestly admit that I haven't actually read the whole book yet. I just started it, but I'm very excited to have started it. I'm very thankful for the writers who have gone before so we don't have to muddle through quite as many problems as we otherwise would.

Also want to remind the group about collecting activity ideas for our upcoming retreat. Here are three:

1. Rewrite a fairy tale or fable from the villain's POV.
2. Draw a first line out of a hat and write for ten minutes straight, then read what you come up with. (No critiques allowed. This is just for the sake of inspiring creativity.)
3. Round robin stories. (We did this last time and laughed hysterically at the results, remember?)

No comments:

Post a Comment