Monday, February 14, 2011

The secret of writing good dialogue: those tricky tags

Okay, so it's not really a secret, but it was so helpful that I wanted to share it.

I've been thinking about dialogue a lot lately. What are its secrets? What makes it work? At 31k and counting for my novel, I've been getting the feeling that if I write "he said" or "she said" one more time, I'll scream. There must be another way.

One thing I've done to work on my dialogue problems is to read Dialogue by Gloria Kempton. It's a great book and I'm enjoying it, but Friday I stumbled across a blog post by Sharla Rae on Writers in the Storm that gave me a fresh revelation of how dialogue tags could be made to show rather than tell.

Click on the link if you'd like to take a look at it yourself. Enjoy. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment