Sunday, April 18, 2010

Book Review: The Marriage Project by Kathi Lipp

This week I finished reading Kathi Lipp's book, The Marriage Project. It's been awhile since I read a book on how to improve your marriage, but having been married for almost 22 years, I thought it was possible that I might have fallen into a few ruts on the marital road and that it might be helpful. Kathi's book outlines a twenty-one project plan in which a couple relearns to think of the other person and take action on those positive other-person thoughts.

I found it nice that although Kathi describes herself as a "girly girl," who loves shoes, purses, and shopping, she wrote a book with excellent balance between husband and wife activities, laced with a dose of humor here and there. Both spouses get a chance to be blessed by what they love to do and to bless their spouses with favorite activities. For him you might go to the shooting range or camping. For her it might be a spa night and a chick flick. Whatever the project, you're in it together. And in case you're wondering, yes, The Marriage Project addresses every facet of a healthy marriage, which should speak to a few guys out there. (The "l" word (lingerie) makes an appearance here and there.)

I don't think there is any way that a couple trying out the project could fail to have fun and become closer. Kathi's suggestions are designed to help couples rekindle a fire that may have become a little dim over time or become buried in the busyness of life. Since every marriage is worth saving or making better, I think this is a good thing.

I enjoyed reading The Marriage Project and believe couples in all stages of marriedness (rock solid or on the rocks) can benefit from it's selfless, premeditated, fun plan.

For more information about Kathi's book, you can check out her blog at http://kathilipp.com.

Disclaimer: I was happy to receive a copy of Kathi's book for the purpose of review, and readily admit that I laughed more than once as I shared the ride of The Marriage Project. (The only thing I didn't agree with was an early statement that God sends trouble our way (or allows it). I know many Christians do believe this, although I don't. Other than this minor reference, I enjoyed the book as a whole.)

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading it. (when I can get to it) One can ALWAYS work on their marriage no matter how strong it may be. I just wish couples read these kind of books before they say, "I do". Thank you for the info. Beth!

    Had a great time at our meeting last night. Looking forward to reading your first few chapters of your Pirate book! :)

    ReplyDelete