Monday, April 26, 2010

What is Your Favorite Writing Space?

Christine's post made me think. Where do I like to write? Usually I pick my desk, covered with stacks of books and papers. (Don't cringe, Christine. I do prefer a clutter-free environment, but if you look around, there are stacks of books EVERYWHERE, so there's not much I can do about it. If you can't find me someday, just keep reading. I'm probably somewhere between pages 143 and 238.)

I usually do the creative thinking in the quiet early morning before the life/husband/kids overtake me. But my favorite place to write would have to be one of the following: sitting on my bed because I have a beautiful view from the bedroom window and it is a quiet and restful place until the kids find me. Sitting on the floor by the fireplace, because I can spread out my scene notecards and sort them without being hindered by desk space. (Toasting by the fireplace with a roaring fire like the last write-in is an extra perk. And last, but not least, in a comfy chair with the laptop. I tried sitting outside last summer, but I ended up just staring at the trees, so I didn't get much done. It's also a little hard to see the screen on the laptop outside.

Sharing time. For all you authors out there, where are your favorite places to write?

2 comments:

  1. I am not cringing Beth. I too (having four kids) have had to write in clutter.

    A beautiful view and/or a roaring fire is a very attractive place to sit with your laptop. I wish I had the view and my fire is only gas. :(

    Although it made me jump a few times the crackle of the fire was very inviting at our last write-in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I've been to your house. It has no clutter. (At least not any visible clutter to guests.)

    Yeah, I guess that log jumping out at you would have made me jump too.

    ReplyDelete