Monday, April 5, 2010

How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count The Ways. One, Two...

Recently I read the book called The Apothecary's Daughter. Now I know the truth.

Love is dead.

I realized as I read this book that it's been a LONG time since I read any contemporary romances. Jane Austen, Baroness Orczy, Charles Dickens, yes. Anyone else, no. Everything else I read is usually for kids or about how to write better. So it's not like I'm an expert at critiquing a romance. I like books about life with a little romance thrown in. I do not like books that are romances with a little life thrown in.

I recommend The Apothecary's Daughter for romance readers. They'd probably enjoy it. (Also for people with a lot of free time on their hands because it's thick.) I have to say my hat's off to anyone who can write a 415 page romance and make it work, because there's nothing worse than a badly written romance. I would not be the person for the job. Julie Klassen did write a very good romance. My biggest beef is that I thought the plot fizzled at the end. Two other people who read it with me had the same opinion. I like truly satisfying finishes. In The Apothecary's Daughter, I found myself asking, "That's it?"

I can't tell you whether you'd like this book or not. Romance readers will possibly love it. Non-romance readers might like it. It depends on your personal tastes. It is not a book that challenges your soul, but it is just fun, light entertainment. As I said, romances are just not my thing, so take this review with a grain of salt.

An aside: I am also reading The Marriage Project by Kathi Lipp. (Her blog: http://blog.kathilipp.com/) Her book contains a practical project for cultivating a premeditated fun and romantic relationship with your spouse designed to make a marriage last. More on that to come.

Christine, you'd be interested to know that one of her guy-centric dates starts with going to the shooting range with your spouse. Larry would think it was cool. I would, of course, not recommend that you shoot at your spouse while there.

Disclaimer: No one pays me (more's the pity) to write these wonderful book reviews. I just did it because it's my turn to blog today.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Beth - glad you like the shooting range idea. And I would agree - only at the targets - only at the targets...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good romance. I did not love this book. As a whole I liked it. I enjoyed the authentic feel of the time and the unpredictability. I too was disappointed in the ending. However, I would/will read this author again. I recently purchased, The Silent Governess. I'm sure you will want to borrow this Beth. :)

    BTW - I do enjoy the shooting range with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Christine, I would definitely give this author another chance. As I said, I would never attempt to write a romance myself. I'll stick to chickens and science fiction. I just didn't care for the ending. But there were definitely times, as my family can attest to, that I couldn't put the thing down. It's a good thing it was spring break for us.

    Yes, Kathi, only at the targets. I'd watch it at the driving range too. (I have sliced pretty badly when my husband and I do this type of date.)

    ReplyDelete